Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The portable MLIS : insights from the experts / edited by Ken Haycock and Brooke E. Sheldon. Chapter 15 Reflection

Alas, we've come to the end of our blogging journey reflecting on the MLIS - of those chapters assigned. I have truly enjoyed it. Nonetheless, I've managed to leave my reflection on this last chapter simply titled Research by Ron Powell for the 11th hour.

The distinction that struck me the most about this chapter is the varying definitions of the term "research". Ironically, my exposure to research has been primarily through the MLIS program (IST618 and through working with Dr. Ruth Small) rather than that of practical application. So, I was intrigued to hear of the "applied" or pragmatic research that one may experience on the job. The relationship between the two makes sense to me; how one can come across a rich data set to launch a "basic research" project or vice versa (Powell, 2008)

The defined terms for the steps of "basic research" that Powell employs beg repeating. Basic research includes "(1) statement of purpose, (2) identification of relevant theory, (3) developed hypothesis, (4) the methodology used and, (5) data collection and analysis. I hope this will come more naturally as my education continues.

I am also somewhat familiar with the various research methods (quantitative) means that may be used to support ones' hypothises but I'm reeling from the qualitative jargon; ethnography, grounded theory, phenomenology, etc.

Spring,

Kate

Powell, R., (2008). Research. In K. Haycock & B. Sheldon (Eds.), The Portable MLIS (pp. 168-178). Westport, CT:Libraries Unlimited.

No comments: